Monday, August 14, 2017

City of Bones - Michael Connelly

I've been trying to find the genres of books that most interest me recently. Growing up, I understandably wasn't into crime novels and thrillers, rather I was into those typical children and teen novels; Harry Potter (still love with all my heart), Percy Jackson, Hunger Games, Divergent, Inkheart, etc. I was never into the classics or the comics (still not into comics, just not my thing) either. These past few years, I fooled around with different types of books. I started reading crime novels and quickly found myself enjoying them. This book just so happens to be the centre of my scrutiny today.

Before I get into the contents itself, can I just say that I bought this perfectly intact second-hand paperback book for a dollar?! A STEAL.

As a brief, brief summary for you to get an idea of the book, it starts off when a dog fetches a bone, a human bone, while out with his owner. Detective Harry Bosch must get to the bottom of the case. Only one thing that puts a wrench in his gut; it's a bone from a child. He uncovers a case almost twenty years old and struggles to find the evidence he needs to put the monster who did it behind bars.

Harry Bosch is part of a series of books Connelly has written. Harry Bosch's endeavours are even a TV show, which I just recently found out can be found on Amazon Prime. I will have to check that out.

This would be the first book I've read from Connelly and I liked it. It's a very different writing style in comparison to previous books I've read. The writing and storytelling is very succinct, no fluff. I love that. Unnecessary writing is one of my pet peeves, and I'm sure I'm not alone on that. Since the writing was so easy to read and comprehend, I devoured this book faster than most. I'm not entirely familiar with Connelly's work and style, but I think he puts more care into the plot and characters themselves than the manner in which the plot and characters are presented in. If that makes sense. I think that's probably why there's no unnecessary writing.

The plot itself is typical of a crime novel. It leads you to believe one person did it but then something else pops up that changes everything. There are many suspects that come up in the story and Bosch tries to figure out who the true suspect is. He's led to believe one suspect did it, and the case seems to have come to a close, but then he realizes that something isn't right. Bosch's detective skills are spot-on, and he covers his mistakes.

Overall, this book was an enjoyable read. The story line is intriguing and I never found myself wanting to put the book down. I'm sure to read more books from Bosch. I bought "The Brass Verdict" and I plan on reading that sometime soon also.


3 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm going to add this one to my TBR!

    Glad to see you blogging again, cannot wait to read more of your posts.

    - El @ El's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it when you find gems like that... especially at that price! Brilly review.

    ReplyDelete